A Heart Surgeon’sTopTips

When a young, seemingly healthy guy suddenly drops dead, the culprit is frequently an aortic aneurysm, a swelling of the heart’s largest blood vessel. “This condition has a special pertinence for active men,” says John Elefteriades, M.D., director of the Aortic Institute at the Yale School of Medicine. “Heavy strength training can cause an already swollen aorta to rupture.” Dr. Elefteriades, an avid weightlifter, is studying ways to prevent those tears. He’s developing blood tests to detect the genetic mutations that lead to them, and working on a portable echocardiogram. If you have a family history of aortic aneurysm or premature death from heart disease, ask your doctor for an echocardiogram.

1 ADD OATMEAL TO SUBTRACT WEIGHT
“ I don’t follow any particular diet, but I do make sure my weight doesn’t fluctuate. If I notice I’m up a few pounds, I eat more oatmeal. Obviously it’s great for breakfast, but I also eat it as a snack because it’s absorbed slowly, keeping my blood sugar steady and satisfying hunger. As a bonus, it helps lower cholesterol.”
 
2 VARY EXERCISE TO PROTECT YOUR HEART
“ I work out at least five days a week and follow a three-day cycle. On day one, I lift weights—bench presses, curls, and lat pulldowns. The next day I run for an hour on a treadmill. Sometimes I do intervals; other times I run slowly uphill. On day three, I row on a WaterRower and listen to Chroma Radio Soul, a Greek station.”

3 DE-STRESS WITH TWO QUESTIONS
“Surgery is intense, so maintaining a calm attitude in the OR is critical. I’ve taught myself to be the ‘Ice Man.’ I ask, ‘What’s bothering me today? And will I remember it in three months?’ The answer is usually no. So I let it go. No matter what you do, this perspective can help ease stress and lower your risk of a heart attack.”

4 FIND A HOBBY THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
“Make the time to pursue interests outside your work. It’s a form of relaxation that can help you stay healthy and happy. In college, I didn’t just major in science; I also studied French literature. Now I write novels and nonfiction to unwind. My next book, Extraordinary Hearts, tells the stories of 10 patients who inspired me.”

2-SECOND LIFESAVERS

GOWALNUTS
My new study published in the Journal of Nutrition reveals that eating walnuts helps your arteries. Their nutrients help kick cholesterol out of your cells, which may reduce plaque development. Related research has linked walnut intake—an ounce a day, or 14 halves—to a reduced risk of heart disease.
Jeffrey Blumberg, Ph.D., F.A.C.N., F.A.S.N.,
director, antioxidants research lab,
Tufts University’s center on aging

SQUAT SMARTER
When it comes to squats, go goblet-style: Hold a dumbbell (or kettlebell) vertically at chest level, with both hands cupping the dumbbell head, as if it’s a large goblet. This provides counterbalance, which fixes your form and makes the move easier. Start with at least a 25-pound dumbbell or 12-kilo kettlebell.

BJ Gaddour, C.S.C.S., CEO, StreamFit.
com; creator, Men’s Health DeltaFIT
Speed Shred DVD series

SEE THE FUTURE
Keep your outlook bright: A new study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition linked high levels of folate and vitamin B12 to a reduced risk of macular degeneration. Lentils and black-eyed peas are high in folate, and salmon and tuna are rich in B12. Or pop a vision supplement, like Ocuvite Eye + Multi.

Kimberly Cockerham, M.D., instructor,
department of ophthalmology, Stanford
University School of Medicine

SNORE NO MORE
How’s your “Don’t Stop Believin’􀀀”? New research from Britain suggests that 20 minutes
of daily vocal exercises can curb snoring by strengthening the muscles in your throat. It also reduces sleep apnea. Sing along with the radio on the way to work, sound off in the shower, or hit the karaoke stage more often.

W. Christopher Winter, M.D., medical
director, Martha Jefferson Sleep
Medicine Center, Charlottesville, VA